Saturday, January 2, 2010

ER...happy new year.

We've had quite the eventful time around here lately. I can only hope that ringing in 2010 at the ER will not hold any kind of meaning for the rest of the year.

It started out as a great night. New Years Eve is also Dana's birthday so we made calls to lots of his favorite people around here and got a big group of 15 togther to go to dinner at the restaurant of Dana's choice: A la Macaroni Grill.

Awesome cousins/friends.
An opera version of the Italian Happy Birthday song.
A free and delicious chocolate cake slab.
Time spent with his true love.
Then off to see "Sherlock Homes" directly afterwards. In case it sounds a little boring-ish, dinner and movie is his favorite kind of birthday celebration. I've asked him many times.

Anyway, this is where the trouble began. I got a call during the movie from my BIL who informed me that Emma was hurt. She was swinging between the counter and island in the kitchen at their house and fell on her face. Her lip was bleeding alot and pretty hurt. I talked to her and she was crying hard and wanted me so I thought even though it may be unnecessary, I'd leave and Dana could catch a ride back with someone else. When I got there and saw her lip I had to tell myself to shut my mouth so she wouldn't get more upset by my reaction. Her top lip was basically split all the way. "Stitches" and "ER" were my first thoughts. She wanted to go home because it didn't hurt anymore and I told her she did not want her lip to heal like that. I suddenly felt very grateful for doctors who know how to fix things I don't.

The ER was an experience as usual but luckily when we got there, there was only a nauseous toddler in front of us, so we were seen pretty quickly. (On the way out we saw a guy with a stab wound to the back of his shaved head. Things definetly could be worse.)

Waiting was the worst part. Once they started into it all she was very brave. A couple minutes before they came in to stitch her up, I heard people counting faintly and then a cheer. At first I thought someone had, had a baby, but then realized we had just rung in the New Year. One that we will never forget. Dana called and told me he watched the ball drop in Times Square. The first New Years Eve and birthday night he's ever spent alone. I felt so bad. So did Emma. She's so sweet, she kept saying "sorry I ruined your party."

On the way home from the ER.
And then New Years Day. She's actually doing much better now and the stitches come out Tuesday- the day before school starts up again. I have a gnarlie up close picture but Emma DOES NOT want me to put it up. Probably best.
Here's to a calmer rest of the year!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Poor Emma. How sweet that she felt bad for ruining your party. That's certainly not the way you planned on ringing in the New Year, but I'm sure things can only get better in the coming month right? You and Dana sure are a cute couple too. Happy Birthday to Dana!

Aubs said...

Oh emma!!! SOOOOOOOO SAD! :( ;O that totally stinx! but what a ca-win-si-dence (my own spelling! LOL) that, that happened on NEW YEARS!!! HAHAHA!!!



-aubrey<3 =]
xoxoxoxo miss u all!

Aubs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubs said...

Thats Aubs Switzer! (by the way!) the on who moved to MA...



-aubrey=]

Jeff Giles said...

Poor Elmer sorry to hear your mouth came unglued. You should post it on your blog so all your friends can see.