Pretty soon I could tell he started to catch the spirit of our adventure and enjoy it. It is actually super fun to ride around our neighborhood because the sidewalk doesn't end whichever way you turn. And I love to ride my beach cruiser. Everyone has beach cruisers right now but mine is extra special. I got it as a present for Christmas I think when I was a teenager. I loved it then but didn't appreciate it as much as I do now.
When I got a little older and went to college it sat and sat in the garage and got cob webs on it. My dad got tired of seeing it and my sister's bike in there never being used and taking up space. He decided to sell both of our bikes to some guy he worked with. I caught wind of this after the fact and voiced some unhappiness about it (or I may have had a whining fit- I can't remember). My dad said "Well I can probably buy yours back if you want me to." And even though it was probably a little awkward, he did it for me. And it meant a lot to me. It still does, and I think about him whenever I ride it.
My dad loved to ride bikes. He was man who loved simple pleasures. Today I felt the peacefulness he felt riding bikes and I wished he was with me. I knew he would love the coolness in the air and the way it smelled. I thought about how he would love to ride around the neighborhood with me and my little guy who was only a baby when he died. And I missed him.
But my bike also makes me think about my blessings I have now. Like a husband who fixed it up for me a couple Christmases ago and really surprised me. A husband who continually sacrifices and tries his best to make me happy. Just like my dad did :)
6 comments:
What a sweet post. I wish it was decent enough weather here to justify having a bike. Although riding around with your son sounds pretty idyllic.
Such a sweet post. You are a really good writer.
I love love love to ride bikes. I take the kids out bike riding almost every single day when it's nice outside. Half of the time I have Zander hitched up to my bike as well. My kids seem to love riding too and we had a great Sunday afternoon ride today. Glad that you and Eli got to share a special ride together.
Kate, I really loved this post. I was thinking about Dad more this weekend when I was home, and Jeff and Carrie were there, too. You got it just right here. :)
Hey Katie! I just found your blog through Karis'. I love it! And what a sweet dad to get your bike back! I've been eyeing all these beach cruiser's the girls in our neighborhood ride to school, and now I totally want one!
Post a Comment