Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Life Swap

I have a friend who's a great shopping buddy and also likes to bring up deep conversational topics. On our last outing we talked a lot about life. Like daily routines (ie spending half the day carpooling kids around)- why do we do them? We're both, in our world of mommy-hood, longing for new experiences and seeing new pieces of the world. It really does feel shameful to live in one place and never leave. She has all her family here so doesn't even get to see California and Utah repeatedly like I do. She asked why I thought everyone falls into what's supposed to be the idyllic life: succeed in school, go to college, get a nice job (or marry someone with a nice job), put down roots, and raise a family. I started pondering on why I did those things and if I regret any of those decisions. Basically it only took a moment for me to realize I didn't. I LOVED college, LOVE being married, I always wanted to be a mommy and feel blessed to have my sweet-peas everyday of my life. The only thing I'm really mixed on is the "roots" part. If we really wanted to, we could move anywhere on this beautiful Earth. Dana could look for new job somewhere else, we could sell our house and go. It's so exciting just to think about! I would love to live on the east coast for awhile just to see what it's like. Wouldn't it be cool if our society had a "life swap" program? Another family could see how great it is to live in our area and we could try out their lives for a bit...maybe 6 mos. Then our longing for adventure and change could be satisfied. The job aspect would be tricky but maybe if you found someone who did basically the same thing you did...anyone with me? :)

Please don't think I'm in any way ungrateful for my wonderful life. Sometimes you just feel like having a little adventure.

P.S.These thoughts may not be completely unrelated to seeing my sister having awesome new adventures in Italy.

3 comments:

Jill Ison said...

i think roots are a good thing... just so's you know :) and you've got roots in good places.

Miranda said...

Sorry? Your welcome?
I want roots.

joyous said...

It's scary!!!! That's why. Jim and I keep tossing around the idea of going back east for couple years and it could work with his job. But sheesh, it is scary and hard, so who knows?!?!?!?