Monday, June 21, 2010

Holly's First Swim Meet

This last week we were finally home to go to the swim meet. We've been running from party to vacation to party again lately. And I am really not complaining. It's so fun to drive away leaving your cares and triple digits behind. But after all the running, I'm glad we don't really have anything planned this week and I can get the kids back on the job and school work schedule.

We got there late and arrived to this crowd for the 5-6 yr. olds. Holly really likes swim team most of the time, but felt nervous because this was a new experience for her. Holly and few girls- including her friend Julia waiting for their turn.
It is cute and sometimes comical watching the 5-6 year group. This meet was for backstroke and breast stroke and since some of these little kids' top priority is just making it across the pool alive, the strokes are more of an afterthought. Holly was doing the breaststroke and started coming up with big smiles and sort of nodding her head (as pictured). Afterward she told me she heard Emma cheering for her and was trying to acknowledge her without her hands :)
She did SO great and was brave and loved it and can't wait to go again. Yea Holly!
Then we had a wait until Emma's meet began at 7. So we just hung out, mostly in trees, and desperately waited for Dana to arrive and rescue us with food and water. Hopefully I learned my lesson and do not make that mistake again.

It was so fun to watch Emma. She loves backstroke but got worried about running into the wall so she looked back a few times which caused some girls to pass her. She's just learning to give it her all in races. But Emma is always great at keeping a good perspective on life and really focuses on the "fun" of swim team. Which I'm grateful for.
On breaststroke she went for it and was so excited to get a new color ribbon she's never gotten before! (4 of 8) Go Emma!!! This week we'll be back for breast stoke and butterfly.
I love swim team. And more importantly, so do they.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

We are loving swim team too. That is so cute that Holly was shaking her head to Emma while she was swimming. Such cute little people. Love the picture of Holly and Julia too. I haven't brought my camera once to swim team. I need to get on that.