2. How to write "I will not forget my homework" on the board 25 times during recess through blurry, tear-filled eyes.
3. Handball and swinging at recess were my favorites, but swinging almost always ended too soon with some one "counting on me" as soon as I started.
4. Jill's ponytail ringlets did in fact bounce back up when I pulled them down each day as I sat behind her. Which for some reason she endured with a smile.
5. Fransico talked too much in math and was frequently told to "Shut-up!", Danny could break-dance spin on his back, Amy always cheated in 4-square, Mary broke my kite in science and wouldn't say sorry, Joy was a "model" and was in a JC Penny catalogue, Jennifer's hair was really brown and not blonde but her mom thought she looked better blonde...and the list goes on.
It makes you wonder what people remember about you doesn't it? Or maybe nobody else is so painfully aware of things around them so young.
The homework incident was on picture day. It's hard to tell on the computer (not to mention the bangs) but my eyes are all red from crying.
I truly feel for my kids when they complain about school. I try not to brush off their complaints about things even when I think they sound silly or meaningless. I tell them that one day, believe it or not, they'll be grown and can eat as much candy as they want, stay up as late as they want, buy the things they want, with no one bossing them around. I try and fill them in about the "responsiblity" and "hard work" stuff, but to them, the first things outweigh any negatives. They can't help but smile at the possibilities.
And I agree, even with the extra work- I'll take being a "grown-up" any day! Freedom is a great thing! It reminds me of a Conference talk I heard once (have no idea who the speaker was now) that said- don't be too hard on your little ones, remember, they just want their free agency too. I have thought of that many times.
Pres. LeSeuer, our old Stake President, also gave a parenting lesson in our ward once and said "You shouldn't want your kids to 'be good' when they grow up, you should want them to 'want to be good'." I just love that but it also scares me. It seems like such a daunting task. As parents, we have to get our kids to the point where they want to choose the right, be their best and strive to return to their Father in Heaven, before all that freedom kicks in. I feel like I need to work on letting go in little ways and let them test that freedom out some more while they're little so they don't get instant overload of freedom when they leave home. I guess it happens alot on it's own during the teenage years. I need to focus more on my example and less on micro-managing.
5 comments:
Aww so sad about you having to write lines during recess. Lame punishment. Your school picture is adorable. I agree that I would pick being a grown up any day even though it is a lot more work.
Funny to read this post! Tonight I stayed up for and extra 30 minutes past bed time with my girls and we talked, and talked about when I (mom) was in school. We talked about all the mean teachers I had and things that were hard, and also the things that were so fun. It was fun to be able to reminisce with my girls, now that they are a bit older they like to hear about "mom and how things were like when I was little"
That is cute I do remember that day, that you had to stay in and write on the board and how unfair we both thought it was since you had NEVER done that before. It is a weird punishment teachers now wouldn't do that.
love this. and love the picture...
I'm totally soaking in that parenting advice.
how'd i miss so many posts? this one was so cute. that picture of you looks alot like holly (to me)
Post a Comment