Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thank YOU, Super-Thank-You-Girl!

Dana recently DVR'ed "Sky High" which I had never heard of before, but the kids are all over that movie. They love it! Basically a bunch of teenage kids have a variety of super powers and they go to a high school in the sky called- you guessed it..."Sky High". Anyway, I finally saw the whole thing and the end gets a little crazy but it's got a lot of witty and comical parts in it. My favorite part was the when the coach has the kids exhibit their powers and then deems them the "hero" or the "sidekick". So if you haven't already, you'll have to see it so you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, our kids, as they LOVE to do, acted out their version of the movie after seeing it the 2nd time. Eli ran straight to his room to put on his Superman costume. Serious business. They had a great time playing. I will miss their made up games some day. Sorry I didn't take photos as I was making dinner at the time.

The next day Holly asked me what power I would want. I said flying of course- obvious in my mind. Then I had a thought.
"You have a power Holly!"
"What!?"
"You are AWESOME at thanking mom and dad for everything all the time. (true) That's better than other powers because that makes us feel so happy!"
She ate it up. And happily, it's actually stuck and has helped to reinforce her gratitude. There are times that she threatens to lose her powers if I don't stop being "mean" and give her, her way, but so far just empty threats. Love that girl. And it's got me thinking...
It really is amazing how much power in life we all truly have. We all affect people and the world around us so much more than super-strength would. As a teenager my favorite poem was:

"I am only one, but I am one.
I cannot do everything, but I can do something;
and what I should do and can do, by the grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

I still love that so much. We are all super-heroes in our own right. Let's use our powers for good always.

6 comments:

Christine said...

Aww! Katie, I love this post so much! It's so true. We are just one, but can do so much! Totally needed this reminder today too. So, thank you, super thank you girl! Thanks for the sweet things you said on my blog. And thanks for introducing us to that park. My kids can't get enough, even though it's 800 degrees outside!
love, me

Shannon said...

What a great thought! I thought "Sky High" was a cute movie too. I always say if I could have a super power I would want to be able to teleport so I could go see my family whenever I wanted, but I guess for now I will settle for the powers I already have. :)

Sally said...

Holly's so cute. I want one just like her. Someday...not quite yet.

Katy said...

It's the little things we do that make us powerful. Holly's on to something!

Kathryn said...

You are the cutest little family.

The Crazy Wyatt Fam said...

Katie! You are such a terrific mom! I love how you notice little wonderful qualities in your kids, and help them grow even more! Your awesome!