Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tools of the Trade

I have become something in life that I never would have expected: A cricket catching expert. And all you that live here in the Valley of the Sun know- there ain't no shortage of crickets 'round here. So, I get plenty of practice. But I will never catch them with my hands like Dana does, so I use these tools:
The flashlight- obviously to see them in the dark.
The big (keyword) cup to catch them with.
The paper towel- so they don't jump onto my hand once they're trapped. (After a year and a half or so- I still scream and my heart races when they touch me or jump into me. Emma thinks this is hilarious.)

Here's the culprit of course-our geckos Dana brought home with the kids one day (as I stared at him with a puzzled expression). They would be dead if it weren't for me. The one who will not touch them and wanted to return them to the pet store. But one thing I hate more than geckos is dead geckos, so I feed them religiously.
They have kinda grown on me since they moved in. Mainly because the kids love them.
If you wondering if I've ever heard of a pet store here are my reasons for catching them myself:

1. I don't want to support the procreation of extra crickets in the world
2. It just seems WRONG to pay for bugs
3. A small money saver
4. I keep thinking (hoping) I might be cutting down on our own backyard population.
5. I like knowing we have a "year supply" for our pets too
:)

I wanted to post this because the little tasks we do in life really add up to become our life. Dana always says people should take at least a couple pictures of themselves at work- not just on vacation- since you spend the majority of your time there. He took this picture of me outside "Central Bank" in Provo where I worked when we were newleyweds. I felt a little silly at the time but now I'm glad I have it- brings back the memories!

*on a side note- I watched "Goldie" shedding the other day. It was amazing! I was glued to the tank for like half an hour.

5 comments:

Katy said...

I love that one of your geckos can read. Did you or Emma teach them that?

Shannon said...

How fun to have a picture from your old work. It's true that that's where we spend the majority of our time, but we don't have any pictures from work. I love that you have geckos. Weston is very jealous. I don't envy you having to catch crickets though. Yuck. There was one in the toe of my shoe when I was trying to get it on one time back when I was a teenager and I have been traumatized ever since. Also, I am impressed that your girls love the lizards too.

Jill Ison said...

i can totally picture that! you chasing the crickets... I make my kids do it. They're quite good at it. Kassidy catches flies too. Nothing like a year supply for the pet! How do you get through winter though? we do seem to have a shortage in the cold weather.

Kate said...

Yes there are way less in the winter. I can usually find a few hiding in cracks. We usually end up buying them a couple times. My kids are good at catching them too. I should have them do it more.

Amy said...

Now you need to go take Dana's picture at work. You have your picture at home, what a blessing yet, all mothers know is ALOT of work!