Saturday, April 11, 2009

Desert Botanical Garden

Friday there was no school. My friend suggested going to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. It was so much fun! We did have some hairy moments as any 2 moms would with 7 little kids, but I'm so glad we went.

Sadie walking throught the desert barefoot.
Under a big shady tree.
There's an amazing glass exhibit there right now called "Chihuly". This artist incorporated his art into the landscape. I would love to see it again at night lit up.
They also have a butterfly exhibit that, for me, was the funnest part. This is inside the Butterfly Pavillion.
Sadie LOVED this little pond. I didn't get a good picture of it, but it had fish in it and was just really pretty. Everytime I took her to a different section, she'd work her way back here.

Pretty striped butterfly on a flower. These were not quite as people friendly as the orange ones.
Eli had this butterfly for probably 10 minutes or so. The picture he has is all the types of butterflies in the garden.
I love this one! Emma begged me to return to the Butterfly Pavillion (which had a 45 min line) as soon as we left, until we were into the parking lot. Definetly her favorite part too.
Eli unwittingly making a great very "Grumpy Caterpillar".
They had a whole section of Native American replicas with different types of houses they made, and how they made food, etc. This was Eli's favorite. He was fascinted by everything and asked tons of questions. Luckily our friends had a lot of answers for him since they've been on a tour through it before.
Alot of people were laughing at the kids trying to start a fire with their sticks. They all really got into it all. They've seen Bear Grylls do it so why not them?
Holly and Sadie fell asleep shortly after we started home. All that walking around in the sun!
A very fun adventure :)

4 comments:

Jill Ison said...

Eli the butterfly whisperer...

I was wanting to go see that art exhibit at the botanical gardens! I heard it's amazing especially at night!

Christine said...

So FUN! We almost have the same pictures! I LOVED the glass sculptures too! THey added so much beauty to the desert landscape. Looks like you had such a great time. I love Sadie's outfit. Stinkin' cute she is. I would've loved to have seen the exhibit all lit up at night also.

Shannon said...

Ooh that looks really cool. Weston keeps telling me he's never held a butterfly on his finger. I guess he wants to? I am so jealous of the tans all your kids have. I am so pasty here at the end of a UT winter. Glad you guys had such a fun outing!

Miranda said...

They do look really tan already. It's still threatening snow here.
They are such beautiful kids. Love you guys!