Sunday, May 2, 2010

Flashback...

...to the days when I could never seem to decide between whether my wedding colors should be mint green and pink or mint green and peach. Despite what my dress may lead you to believe, I always ended up favoring pink. And thank goodness I avoided the whole question by not getting married in the 80's.

But back to the point- I got a new church calling. Beehive advisor! When I walked in to join the YW today, I was overwhelmed by thoughts and feelings. I realized I hadn't set foot in that designated room since I walked out upon receiving my medallion approx. 18 yrs ago. It was like a time warp tunnel. Everything was so similar! Except these girls seemed much cuter and on their game. And oh yeah, I recited the theme right along with everyone else with a couple of pauses for the additions that have been made. Some things just never leave you. (Especially those that you've repeated hundreds of times.)This picture is pretty darn hilarious. My sister and her friend Jaime posing in the background, my hair that I worked really hard on to make perfect, the fact that there's a "Seventeen" magazine in the basket, and just how stinkin' old the picture looks now. But you know what's weird? It seems like yesterday. I'm really excited to get to know the girls and try to inspire them. I could never top the leaders I had, but I am sure grateful for their example to me.

The only sad part is I had to say goodbye to my primary class today which I have loved teaching this year. Emma's in there too and that's made it extra special. Hopefully I'll still be in YW when she comes in, in 2 years.

Oh and with the call they asked if I could go to.... GIRLS CAMP!!! I'm really excited :) This is going to be great.

9 comments:

Jamie said...

Ha, ha! Great pictures! I thought that was me and Amy in the background. I think April's on the left. Good times! :) How fun that you get to serve with the Beehives! You will love it!

Sally said...

YEY!!! I'm in young women's too, and I love it, and I'm also going to Girls' Camp!!! So we can share ideas.
For activities, too. It's always hard to come up with new stuff.

Sally said...

Oh sheeesh! I just noticed that I'm in that second picture, and prime in my 13 year old awkwardness. Well, at least those pictures make me feel ok about getting older. I may be turning 32, but I still look better than I did then!

Shannon said...

Congrats on the new calling! I have loved being in YW as a leader. And I love the girls! I'm sure you'll be having a great time at Girls Camp. I actually was released from YW back in December, but I am still slightly jealous every time they call someone new into the organization. I sure hope I get to go back someday.

joyous said...

Love the pictures Katie!! I hope you have a great time in YW. As a leader, sometimes I thought I was getting more out of it than the girls were....YW was wasted on me as a teenager! But it was fun: then and now.

Unknown said...

I have that same calling! Except they called me the week before Alice was born so I haven't done much yet and they also asked if I could go to camp but I don't want to leave a 6 week old. Bummer because camp is my favorite!

Amy said...

hahhaha!I love how you whip out these old pictures! You will love the Yw and they will love you! I wish I could go but 2nd best Tatum can have her aunt to be there with her.

Rhonda said...

That is going to be so fun for you Katie. And those girls are lucky to have such a fabulous new leader. I'm excited for you although I will miss seeing you in RS.

Ashby said...

You are going to be great at that calling! And what a fun group of girls to work with! I just love those Beehives in our ward.