A friend and I have started up walking a few nights a week. This is a friend that conversation flows at anytime. But especially for a straight hour and a half with no distractions (other than having to skitter over the cockroaches and other bugs that love to venture onto the nighttime sidewalks).
The other night, we started talking about things in our lives we would like to improve. A few for me- eating better and feeding my family only natural foods, taking more time with the scriptures each day, and of course my shopping goal...which is becoming painful. I have a hard time believing it's been just over a month with 2 months to go. (Yikes)
We discussed that to be better at anything in life takes restraint and self-discipline. People tend towards laziness, gluttony, and the myriads of other over-indulgences. And all those things have negative consequences. We live in a world where things come easy and it can make it even harder to not give in to all the luxuries we're surrounded by.
I love that the Gospel makes it so clear that God did not intend for us to live the "easy life." We actually have to work if we want to make it back to Him someday. Someone else paid most of our way, suffering more than we can imagine. And when you think of it that way, and remember Him, a little self-disciple doesn't sound so hard anymore.
I've always loved the hymn "Because I Have Been Given Much". I've always thought of it in regard to serving others (a beautiful thing). But I think it could also mean- I too must give...of myself, be willing to give-up things, do hard things, become the best person I can be, and bring a few cents to the table when The Savior has already paid thousands.
3 comments:
That was beautifully written Katie. You have a great way of putting things. I couldn't agree more.
Thanks for sharing those thoughts. Definitely inspiring, as I have some similar goals right now.
What a great reminder. We do have so much. Do we really need more and more and more? It's definitely a worldly philosophy that we think we do. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment