Saturday, April 10, 2010

Tapped Out

{Not to be mistaken with "Tap Out" a beloved phase of UFC fans everywhere. Of whom Dana is among. And of which he is at a boys night watching right now}.

We are out of money until we get paid again Friday. April, apparently, makes people in AZ really start thinking about summer and everything swim-related. We all know what's coming right around the corner. So with swim-team sign-ups last week, and swimming lessons this week, and 3 kids doing the former and 2 doing the latter, our funds are depleted.

Since it's Saturday, the kids immediately started asking "what are we going to do today???" We had to come up with free/fun ideas.

So we thought...
And then we came up with a few...
A FB friend of mine posted about artists showing off their stuff at a nearby mall to benefit families today. These guys copy pictures onto the sidewalk with chalk! It was truly impressive and the kids were fascinated.

We also stopped at the mall's puppy store and the kids "AHHHH!"ed over them all.

Then on the way home we told the kids they could get their swimsuits on (or "bimsuit" if you're Sadie) and help wash BOTH cars. They were even more excited about that.
Sadie surprised me at how involved she got in the washing!
Oh and I had fun being "the rinser" with the hose. I tried hard not to laugh maniacally while squirting the kids, but it just kept slipping out!
It was a great day and now I'm left here in a quiet house, with sleeping kids, feeling grateful they are still at the ages where simple activities are enough. No money required.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Those pictures at the mall look cool. We need to do some free days with you. Sometimes those turn out to be the best days of all.

Carrie said...

So fun! The weather here is getting so warm, too. We haven't turned on the AC or the heater in probably over a month or so. Can't wait for summer!

Shannon said...

I need to sign Weston up for swimming lessons too. It does put a dent in your budget. Sounds like you guys had a fun family Saturday! I love days like that. I remember loving washing the car as a kid. It's so fun! Plus you get a clean car out of the deal!

joyous said...

What a great day!! I love Sadie's swimsuit too. We just started swim lessons this week. I found a place that does shorter sessions this summer. What I like is that it makes it cheaper (kind of). We might be able to do it again mid-summer too.

Miranda said...

Love the pictures. What a sweet day. Those are the days that memories are made of.

Amy said...

We went there too! They were Amazing. WE needed to join the car washing but instead we did a daddy's office cleaning. Good Times!

Christine said...

That's so awesome Katie. We almost went to that art festival at the mall, but we missed it and I was tapped out of energy. So bummed, your pictures make it look like I really missed out. I LOVE ART! Glad you guys had a great day! love your guts! PS Your comment on my blog MEANS SO MUCH! Thank you sweet thing.

The Blair Family said...

Katie, I came across your blog and am so glad I did. Your family is adorable!
-Chelsea Blair (Pyper)