Normally I love giggles. Giggles equal happy kids. But as of late, we've been watching some serious "giggles gone wild" episodes around here. Our kids play really well together which I really LOVE but when they start having too much fun it just gets crazier and crazier. They are a little extra prone to craziness (or weirdness) I think. So they say these nonsense words or phrases that they all find HILARIOUS and just take turns saying things, after which they all break out in hysterical laughter. There is many a time that Dana and I can't talk (or even yell) over them. And it's almost always when they are getting ready for bed. I'm not sure if this is because it's late and they're tired, or they're putting off bedtime- or most likely both.
The funny thing about this story is that it doesn't seem like too long ago that I was the crazy one that couldn't quit laughing for the life of me. My siblings and I would be kneeling around the bed with our mom and dad saying it was time to stop and be reverent. And dreaded day if it was your night to pray because you had to get through the whole thing with a calm and serious voice. Inevitably, when it was my turn, my brain would remind me of my funny thoughts about half way through. First my prayer would falter. Bad sign. Then someone else might make the sound of a muffled snort. Then a short laugh would burst out of one or more of us (always me for sure), I would TRY to regain composure, and finally finish the prayer with numerous intermitant giggles. A couple times I remember not being able to finish because I couldn't stop laughing. There's something that definetly makes things WAY funnier when you are not supposed to be laughing. I actually once almost drowned because I was laughing so hard in the pool and couldn't stop. I remember thinking what a tragedy (and irony) that I might die of laughter. Luckily I'm not that crazy and sobered up long enough to get to the side. Okay this is getting long.
Even though I've had many cases of the crazy giggles too, now that I'm on the adult side of things I don't know what to do about it. We threaten them with losing parts of their bedtime routine and have followed through more than once, but it's not helping so far. I can sympathize with them but I also want to have reverence for the prayer and scriptures. If anyone else can relate, I'd love any ideas!
3 comments:
If you figure it out let me know. My kids are just the same. They get SO crazy and goofy, which is fun for about five minutes. Then they get so crazy that someone gets hurt.
The Lion King looks so fun! How fun to surprise the kids.
um yeah we used to "play" the drowning game in the pool all the time as kids. its a classsic. we've had giggling problems with the kids for quite some time now. it can be soooo irritating. have you tried locking yourself in the closet and crying? I've heard it can help :)
Ok just reading that play by play of kneeling around the bed gave me the giggles I remember that so well. All I can say is try to be grateful that they are happy. I have those moments too. I just try to tell my self "at least they aren't fighting?" Good luck I have no other tricks.
Post a Comment