Friday, February 20, 2009

Disneyland

Okay I'm a total blog queen lately but this is a BIG month around here with lots going on. Last Saturday, Valentines Day, we all drove down to my mom's house in California. Our plan was to have a relaxing Saturday and Sunday, Monday a mini family reunion, and then Tuesday go to Disneyland. However, our awesome plan seemed to be threatened at every turn.

The day before we were to leave I took Eli to the doctor for a sore throat- just in case. He had a positive strep test. "That's okay" thought I, with antibiotics he won't be contagious by the time we get there. That night he began to complain of a tummy ache. By morning (time to go) he was throwing up. After a while he was better and we left about 1 pm. On the way down Holly began to say her tummy hurt. We stopped, she went #2, on the way out of the bathroom she said "uh-oh my tummy still hurts!", rushed her back to the toilet and she threw up all over herself and the floor. The joy of motherhood. Standing in a KFC bathroom with just those non-absorbent paper towels and a child with puke on her clothes. BUT we made it through and bust out the doors of that KFC and never looked back. Then proceeded to ignore the gang members eyeing us in the parking lot as we knocked on the door of our locked van due to the said gang-members.

To continue in the fun, that night Sadie and Holly both unexpectantly threw up all over their beds twice. My poor mom! I felt so bad bringing it all to her house. That being said, I'm so glad it was my mom and no one else! After that, things got better but it was a crazy start to our trip. It seems to be an ongoing theme for us to suddenly have sick kids when we are going on a vacation.
I'm suddenly aware that this post is not sounding anything like the title. So sorry if you're feeling duped into reading about all this grossness on false pretenses of Disneyland happiness. Luckily for me (and you) and all involved, that was the end of the sickies.

Monday we had so much fun seeing family that we rarely see. Two of my dad's brothers, and a few of my cousins, and their families. And Sally being there all weekend made it all extra fun too (love you Sal!). It was so fun just to see everyone and talk and laugh.

Tuesday was the long-awaited day! It started out so lucky. As we were driving into the parking lot, I handed the guy my card to pay, and he told us we were chosen as the "Guests of the Day" and we got free parking and an escort to a primo parking spot! That was sweet! We felt very VIP-ish. Dana asked the guy how many people get chosen for that and he said "One a day and the time is randomly chosen by the computer." What are the chances?

One of the things Eli and Holly got soooo excited about was seeing the famous castle. Eli went to Disneyland a ton as a baby and toddler but didn't remember any of it. Holly and Sadie were first-timers.

Big 9 year old!!! Free on your birthday this year! They also gave her a pin and all day all the workers were wishing her a happy birthday. That was so fun for her.
MAJOR excitement in the air as we were about to go in.
Entering the newly re-opened "Small World" ride. I was happy that it was much the same. It was fun looking for the added Disney Characters throughout the ride.
They had each earned their own "disney dollars" before we left (by doing little jobs, being good listeners, etc.) and cotton candy was first on their list after we had gone on a few rides.
I took Sadie to meet Mickey while the other kids were with Dana on the Toon Town rollercoaster. She was so sweet. While we were in line I said "Do you see Mickey?" She shouted "Yeah!" Then when it was out turn I put her down and said "Go give him a hug!" Then she ran over to him and hugged him. She got a lot of "Awww"s from everyone in line. It was really cute.

The kids in "Toon Town"
We stayed until 9 when they closed and everyone was pretty ready to go. In fact, I think everyone fell asleep in the car on the way to mom's- even me! Not Dana por supusto. We went on every ride on our list and didn't even get rained on like we were expecting. I think the kids were pretty unanimous on their favorite ride being "Space Mountain" but "Splash Mountain" was probably their second. It was a Super Duper fun day!

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Is there any place better on earth? SO glad your kids got well before the big day - you guys look so happy!

Jill Ison said...

im am craving disney. this post really didn't help. looks like you guys had so much fun. glad everyone was feeling well for mickey :) you guys are so v.i.p.-ish! what a cool suprise!

Karis said...

Remember the days when we go all the time with our passes? I miss that! Fun times! I have been wanting to go for awhile. Braedon doesn't know it but, we are sending him on his bday in April! He is going with grandma. He is going to freak! Glad you guys had fun!