
One thing that I've always had a natural talent for (if it can be considered a talent) is recording my life and having a strong desire to do so. It's something that is definetly ingrained in who I am. It's also one of the many ways I take after my dad. When he died too early in 2002, his journals became a gift for me and my whole family. When I read the pages that he put his thoughts and feelings onto, he doesn't seem so far away anymore. I assume that he was such a faithful journal writer for the same reasons I am.
First, when I need to think things through, writing it down always helps to figure things out. Also, I guess I just like to share my feelings with whoever reads it-which, so far, has always been me. As a teeneager I would tell my journal that it was my best friend. That sounds kind of weird but when you think about it who else can you say whatever you want to without having them think less of you, or not have to worry about them telling someone else?
So, as a result I now get to remember things that happened in my life with great (sometimes excruciating) detail. This can be somewhat painful. Recalling heartaches/breaks with great clarity, realizing how pathetic and naive and immature you sound when you thought you were very cool, re-experiencing needless worry, etc. But I'm hoping that from my teenage years, the pages will give me some insights to my own kids when they enter that wonderful stage in life. It's also kind of neat to pick a date in the history of my life and be able to see what I was doing usually within a week or so. I sometimes find little tidbits like this: (11/9/89)
And remember things like 10 years ago, in the middle of November 1998, when I was living the "married without kids" life, (similar to being single but more fun) Dana was bringing me flowers, I was getting a seasonal job at the GAP and was dreaming of the day we'd have a baby. When I get to revisit times like that, I feel really grateful for my impulse to write things down. :)

First, when I need to think things through, writing it down always helps to figure things out. Also, I guess I just like to share my feelings with whoever reads it-which, so far, has always been me. As a teeneager I would tell my journal that it was my best friend. That sounds kind of weird but when you think about it who else can you say whatever you want to without having them think less of you, or not have to worry about them telling someone else?
So, as a result I now get to remember things that happened in my life with great (sometimes excruciating) detail. This can be somewhat painful. Recalling heartaches/breaks with great clarity, realizing how pathetic and naive and immature you sound when you thought you were very cool, re-experiencing needless worry, etc. But I'm hoping that from my teenage years, the pages will give me some insights to my own kids when they enter that wonderful stage in life. It's also kind of neat to pick a date in the history of my life and be able to see what I was doing usually within a week or so. I sometimes find little tidbits like this: (11/9/89)
And remember things like 10 years ago, in the middle of November 1998, when I was living the "married without kids" life, (similar to being single but more fun) Dana was bringing me flowers, I was getting a seasonal job at the GAP and was dreaming of the day we'd have a baby. When I get to revisit times like that, I feel really grateful for my impulse to write things down. :)
5 comments:
I would say that is a talent. A really great one too. I don't have that in me at all. You're so lucky. I hope some of my kids get that but who would they get it from??? They will be like me and have 1 journal with about 10 really embarrassing entries! I seriously considered burning mine.. Isn't that bad? Thanks for letting me peek in your journal!
Cool Kate. I love your journalability, it's such a good example. I set a goal to write every day this year, and haven't done it. But I've done better--about twice a week. It is so awesome to be able to look back a track the changes in my life and in my self.
I had thought that wall came down on my 8th birthday, in 91', thanks for correcting me.
That is so cool.I have always admired that about you. I have been feeling the need to journal lately. I am not so good I write on MOST big events. The past couple years I have tried to also write when I feel extra blessings that I want to remember. That was alot the last couple years. (Alot is relative comapared to 1 time a year that I used to write.
That is pretty awesome. If my journal was as mature as yours I would still have it around. Several years ago I tossed my journals in the trash because they were so embarresing. That sounds terrible but I would hate for my kids to read the dumb things I wrote.
I loved this post- You don't know me, I jumped here from Jill's and Jill doesn't even know me. So I consider us all friends now. I homeschool and that is how we connected. But I say I love this entry. I have written in journals forever, and I think that you are leaving your legacy such a great gift. Wow- your dad must have been a great guy! Thanks for the share!
Post a Comment