Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Wonderful Idea

This morning, during the time my brain was just waking up (and I was feeling the relief that can only come when one realizes their van hasn't been repossessed after all) and reality's a little hazy, I remembered the way my dad's voice sounded reading "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas". I guess it's because I just read it to the kids a couple days ago and while I was reading, certain parts screamed--Dad! Like the "NOISE, NOISE, NOISE, NOISE, NOISE" part. He was not even a fan of "noise", let alone "NOISE". I think he empathized with the Grinch a little.

I remembered I had a picture of his Grinch-reading tradition (one I had anticipated lasting many years). When I found it in Emma's BIG scrapbook I noticed it was 10 years ago and that seemed very apropos. I also considered how fast time goes and how the babies in this picture are now baby-sitters. Then I marveled at how I thought I might miss him a little less by now, but how I don't.
Then I got an idea that's not awful at all.
Christmas is a great time to miss loved ones that are gone. You can be so easily reminded that one very special day, a long time ago, a baby was born in a stable. This baby grew up and gave everything he had. He suffered and died because he loved(s) me and you. Because of Him, my family will be together forever. And so will yours.*
And all that's left is GRATITUDE....and LOVE.

*Important: enduring to the end is required to receive this blessing :)

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Great post...love it! I love your dad.

Shannon said...

Thanks for that beautiful post! What peace the Savior and His gospel bring us. I am grateful too. :)
PS-Those pictures are just priceless.

joyous said...

Love the pictures and the post. Christmas IS a good time to remember the ones you have lost because we also remember the hope that the Savior gives us. Thanks for sharing. :)

elizabeth said...

Very sweet blog. I miss your Dad too. Another reason to celebrate this wonderful time of year!!

Carrie said...

Sweet post. Such cute pictures! Thinking of Christ's birth and death is a great reminder for us all that we can be together with loved ones again :)

Jill Ison said...

:)

XO, Jennifer Kiddle said...

LOVE this post !