I did receive a new calling: Senior Primary chorister! I have to say when the Bishop asked me, I was thrown for a loop. I had never pictured myself in that calling and I made sure he knew that I couldn't read music to which he said "that's okay". Dana was put back in as YM's secretary and he's happy about that.
Well, this last Sunday we had our first meeting as a new ward. Our Bishop (who has also been our friend for the past 7 years and is only 2 years older than me) did an amazing job and created such a spiritual tone with his testimony. He said our ward's theme will be acceptance and love toward each other. By the end of Primary (where I had my chorister try-out. Actually if it was a real try-out I'm fairly positive I wouldn't have gotten it. Emma told me my face was bright red:) I felt like the new ward was already starting to feel like a family :) And I think I will end up liking this calling. Or maybe loving...you never know right?
P.S. Have you had my calling? Please give me tips! I need lots of them!
9 comments:
I think that calling scares me more than any other! And I do read music. I would rather be RSP than primary chorister. Yikes!
But you will be awesome at it. You have all the enthusiasm, and you're used to working with kids that age. Plus, you have a good singing voice. :)
It sounds like your new bishop really did a good job of setting the tone for your ward. It can be very hard when you have changes like that.
As for primary music, it's less about directing music and more about leading children. If you can get them to follow you, then you have got it made! Didn't Amy have that calling for awhile in La Habra? I recall Mom saying she did a good job, so maybe she can commiserate, I mean help you out a bit!!!
But the important part is that you are setting an awesome example for your kids that we serve where we are called and when we give our best, the Lord makes up the rest. Good luck!!!
That is difficult. It sounds like the new ward will be a good experience. I'm sure you and your family will make new friends and grow to love the new ward family.
I think primary chorister is a really hard job! You have to be so up all the time and do fun things to keep the kids' attention. I'm not that creative! Unfortunately I don't have any tips since I've never done it, but I'm sure you will awesome! :)
katie, you will be awesome because you already are.
Oh my gosh, I'd die if I was the chorister. But you'll be great at it! I would be too self conscious acting silly with the other adults in the room just staring blankly at me, but when I was teaching primary I loved the chorister! I was always just in awe of her enthusiasm, cheerfulness, and creativity. And I'm sure there's a million ideas on the internet for fun games to keep the kids' attention.
A fun one she did one time was bring a missionary in (or bishop or any man), and a kid would come up and cut off a piece of his tie when the kids would sing louder, until the tie was almost gone :) The kids loved it.
I appreciate all the words of encouragement. Thank you!
Carrie- that's a cute idea :) Thanks
I am grateful it's senior and not junior :)
You'll be great! Don't be scarred, change is good.
luxury watches
I hope you get settled in your new ward and find just as much love and happiness as you did in your old one. You're amazing ... and you'll meet lots of new friends and have primary kids singing and smiling all week long :)
Um...I like what Sally said...minus the RSP part! That one scares me WAY more! LOL You'll be amazing! love you.
Post a Comment