Sunday, September 4, 2011

Goin' Broke With Groupon

This weekend we went to our second waterpark hotel for the summer. It was super FUN. We floated down the lazy river, lounged in the wave pool and "woooooo"ed down water slides. Sadly, I forgot the stinkin camera :( But we bought the "Living Social" deal last Spring with a few friends from the ward and we all went together which made it even more fun.

The other hotel was out in Tucson where we met up with some of our dear friends that moved out there a couple years ago and I did snap a few pictures.
The kids got to reunite with their old buddies :)
And we got to explore the vastness of the hotel.

Here's the view from our room at night (movie screen playing "Ratatouille")
View in the morning
We even got room service as an option for part of that deal!
I don't know how you feel about it but I get a little miffed when I have "firsts" with my kids. Like: all of us having room service for the very first time except I'm 36 and you're 4! Anyway, they were both one-nighters and a lot of fun. We still have a 2-night stay on the Queen Mary hotel for a belated anniversary celebration to use by December 25th. Not that I'm complaining...

Besides trying new restaurants, here are a few other things we've done on Groupon- batting cages, Bounce U, kid cooking classes (still need to use), and don't forget that awesome Nordstrom Rack deal! I gave Amy and myself facials for our birthday and we just used them (the very day they expired:). I LOVE a great deal but am going to have to take a little hiatus from them and be a better budgeter.

P.S. If anyone ever tells you that any temperature above 100 deg is all the same they've never lived here. I think we're finally out of the 115 range. Seriously who would've thought you could be grateful for 105? We're getting there:) The countdown is on for Fall!

Anyone else having Groupon adventures out there? What's been your favorite?
Happy long weekend!

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

This weekend was my one and only Groupon purchase and we had a great time. So glad we got to hang out with you guys. I would have never recognized Zack in that picture. Ellie looks just the same.

Shannon said...

SO much fun!!! I have always wanted to buy the living social getaway packages, but our kids are still too little to appreciate them, and too little to be left at home.

Anyway, I have bought a ton of stuff on Groupon and other daily deal sites. My favorite things to get on discount are kid friendly places like Planet Play (with mini bowling, mini gold, etc.), Chuck E. Cheese, and restaurants. I also haven't paid "real money" for a haircut in awhile since I just look for the best groupon deal and go to that salon. I have had to stop checking the sites too though. I haven't bought anything in a couple months, but I'm still enjoying using up all the ones I already had.

Love that you got to play with old friends. What a great idea to buy that together!

joyous said...

Groupon is great. There was another website with similar half off deals that I have been using for the last couple years before the groupon craze caught on. My 'rule of thumb' is to only buy things that I would be spending the money on anyway. ;)

We've had fun at Pump it Up. I did get a facial for the first time (Mother's day gift to me). I also bought my Santa pics through groupon (that I always buy anyway). The best was the month of unlimited classes at the little kid gym that I did with Rachel! I have a couple more fun ones waiting to be used too.

Sally said...

I love that first picture of Sadie.

I try to stick to the same rule as Joy, so usually my groupons are food places we tend to go to or that I wanted to try. Or like when they have the Old Navy or other retail ones. I still need to use my Paul Mitchell School haircut, but so far my groupons are lacking adventure.

Carrie said...

Yeah, I love that first picture of Sadie!

My Groupon deals have been lame. I've only bought a couple food places. My last one I was so tempted to get, but didn't, was 6 laser hair removal treatments for $99. Great deal, but still a chunk of money!

How did you like the facials?!

Kate said...

Carrie- We both LOVED the facials :) I kept thinking "Why have I never done this before?" Definitely need to do that again :)

Katy said...

So much fun! We did the Oasis Groupon too, and it was so worth it! Love u!