Friday we continued our drive up to Utah and planned it so that we made it to Cedar City to have lunch with Miranda, Bubba and mom. Mom happened to be up there visiting so we really scored :) It was so fun not only to be there in the nice cool, breezy, green climate, but of course to be with loved ones.
SUU is such a beautiful school. The kids had fun looking around at things.
Miranda had to get to work and we had to keep going so then we embarked on the last 3 and a half hours. We arrived in the late afternoon, unloaded the car and settled in. The next morning- Saturday began as usual with the cannon booming at 6 am. Happily this year, everyone slept through it. Then we hit the little parade there at 11am. The kids all look forward to getting candy thrown out from the "floats".

I forgot how much I want to have our niece Keena come live with us. She spent most of her time with the little girls and was so sweet with them.
Sadie and Sophie got to know each other a little better this year and played pretty good :)
That night was the amazing fireworks show.

Sunday the 4th was nice and relaxing. We went to church, took our family pictures, and that night had a special program.
Dana's parents, brother Dean, sister Kristy, brother Dale, and Dana- and spouses.
All the grandkids except Drew who's on his mission.

Holly, my only child who likes her picture taken.
The program was really neat. Every family was supposed to do a 5 min presentation. Dana got a 4th of July quiz online and we started off by having Emma recite the beginning of the Declaration of Independence (which they start learning at their elementary school starting in 3rd grade) and guess what it was from. She was cute.
Then everyone who's been on a mission got up and gave a story from their mission which was really special. Kris read part of a letter from Drew and cried through half of it. It was really sweet. They each got to hold a flag of where they went.
Monday, the next morning we was the Freedom Festival up in Provo. It started with the hot air balloons lifting off at 6:30am. We knew we'd never make it from Mt Pleasant so Sunday night we stayed at a Best Western in Provo. Even then we got there just as they were lifting off.
It was so beautiful and really special to be there by BYU and feeling the special spirit up there.

Dana and I were feeling pretty nostalgic.
We decided to walk over to our first married apt which is real close to the field where we were. Up ahead is the Provo parade which we decided to skip. It was crazy crowded.
We have a lot of good memories here at #7. My strongest though is being soooooo sick with Emma in my tummy here.
Now look at her 10 years later!
Dana's brother Dean had a booth for his art at the fair in Provo. Everyone was meeting there about noon and then we were going to lunch at "Los Hermanos". We saw some face painters as we were walking over.
They were offering flags and fireworks. Of course our kids had all special requests. Eli's a skull that says "dead man" (very patriotic), Holly a blue bird, and Sadie a ladybug. (Em was with her cousin Savannah)
"Los Hermanos" was SO good.Sleep deprivation began to set in for Holly. A person can only handle so much fun :)
Next we headed over to the "Y" to walk around. The kids had a lot of fun making up and playing games.
I don't really want to recount my whole ordeal with Sadie on here since I talked about it on FB, but lets just say that Dana and I are still so grateful for her each day (as we are all our kids). And it was great to see her face finish healing while we were there. She was extra nervous and tenative about everything she did for about a week. But seemed to recover inside as well as outside. As I think I am. I'm left with gratitude for the strength Heavenly Father gave me.
We have so much to be grateful for and I always love Independence Day and the opportunity to reflect on our wonderful country and our liberties and blessings we have. Hope you had a great weekend too :)
2 comments:
What a fun long weekend! I want to go down to Provo to see the hot air balloons next year. That looks so cool! I don't even live very far from Provo, but it still feels nostalgic when I am there. Especially close to places I used to live. Your family is just so cute in your matching patriotic shirts. It's so fun to spend time with family and to get those family pictures with everyone!
What a fun, busy trip! You guys really packed alot in to your weekend! I love the picture of you and Dana in front of your 1st apartment. And I am so glad that Sadie (and you) are recovering!
Post a Comment