This morning Dana and I began a conversation during the 10 minute snooze intervals of the alarm telling us we needed to wake up and begin our day. I think he started off telling me a dream he was having in which the setting was our hometown area of Brea, CA. I was suddenly struck by a homesick feeling because that area really is awesome. In my still sleepy brain I could smell the moisture in the air and see the big green trees and plants everywhere. I said "Maybe we should move back." You know, just to hear his response. He was apparently more awake than I was because he thought of the logical reasons we moved here. And I admitted that if we did move I would really miss it here alot.
I layed there for a minute comparing the two areas as I have many times before and thought of something irreplaceable about where we live. The hook-ups. Because there is such a large network of LDS people who know each other there is always information about this, that, and the other. Right after we moved here I learned about the swimming lesson teacher that I've loved. My kids have gone to 3 preschools of different LDS moms. There are carpools offered, friends asking if you'd like to go this play, or take a certain class, etc. With lots of stay-at-home moms (which I'm pretty sure aren't so prevalent elsewhere) you can count on lots of friends to watch your kids or trade with you for volunteering at the school. Basically it reminds me of the "it takes a village" expression. I think it's my favorite thing about living in our ethnocentric community. Knock it if you will, but it is an amazing blessing. (the people, not the ethnocentrism).
5 comments:
It sounds wonderful. That's what I always imagined it would be like living in Utah, but apparently we moved to one of the few areas of the Salt Lake Valley that is devoid of young LDS families. Lame. I want to move to Arizona, but it's still far from both of our families, so I think it's coming in 3rd right now on our list of places we might want to relocate to. If we do decide to look there I am going to check out your area. :)
I can appreciate all those advantages. I am just such a wimp about the heat. THE HEAT!!!
Hopefully Orange County's economy will get so bad that all the inflation from over the years in the housing market will dry up and all the cool/poor people of the church will be able to afford to move back.
I was just thinking that same thought this morning ... "It takes a village to raise a child". Your heart tells you you're in the right place and your kids are so lucky to have parents that see the belefits and make the sacrifices. You're awesome ... Always have been and I hope you know that!
Thanks for being part of my village Katie. You have been a life saver so many times this last month. We are very blessed to live in such an awesome area.
it is lovely isn't it.
Post a Comment