You are making dinner. You're up to your elbows in it and trying to multi-task with the best of them. You hear your 2 year old yelling "MAMA! MAMA!" At the back door. She wants to come in and can't yet reach the handle. You see your 7 year old and ask him to open the door for her. He readily complies. Problem should be solved. But don't forget...your child is 2. She does not want HIM to open the door. She wants YOU to open it. She stands there wailing and yelling "No You! Mama! Mama! MAMA!" She won't come in. She won't allow the door to be re-shut. You continue as long as you can but realizing there's no end in sight to the yelling and crying, you stop everything and go over there. You tell her to come on in. She continues to cry. Finally you shut the door and re-open it with a fake smile "Come on in Sadie!" She immediatly stops crying and says "Oh, dank goo." She's happy for about 5 mins until something else rubs her wrong.
Then it hits you that it's happened again. You're sweet little one that you never thought you could put on time out or be upset with is testing those boundries.
She made it all the way to 2 and a half but we are definetly here in the stubborn "terrible twos": where limited understanding meets verbalability. We'll be trying to keep it in perpective for the next while :)
3 comments:
Ahh sounds oh so familiar. Little stinkers. :) I already put Davin on "time outs" in his crib. If he gets into something he is not supposed to and makes a mess i put him in his crib while I am cleaning it up. Sometimes when he is really fussy he just needs some quiet time in there. It's a rough age. Hang in there!
LOL! Tyler is exactly the same way. "Mommy do it" Sometimes I wish I had four arms! Thanks for the larger picture info. Hopefully I can figure it out! I just might have to call you.
Not sweet little Sadie!!
Post a Comment