I decided to make a top ten countdown of my favorite girl's trip moments.
#10 Mom's goodie basket.
This was full of girl's trip goodies including matching t-shirts folded into puppies with taped on googly eyes! Mom got crafty and I, for one, was very impressed!

Carrie's invaluable selfie skills (and long arms) put to good use...

They say "It's a sister thing" ("thang" was considered but tastefully rejected) and mom's says "Happy mom". So cute and thoughtful :)
#9 Jacuzzi time in mom's backyard. Ahhhhhh.
#8 Food and Shopping. It must be confessed that from the moment I got into Amy's van to drive down to California (and started stuffing my face with PB M&M's), to when we departed mom's house (with a bagel sandwich with cream cheese in one hand and a Ghirardelli chocolate in the other)- I did not follow my usual GF/DF diet. This was a very tasty "girl's weekend" addition, as you can imagine. The highlight was probably the pizza...mmmm. What was the name of that place girls?
Here we are at a few places:
Lunch on Friday at an "authentic Pasadenan" place. This was before Carrie and mom met up with us.

Inside view...

Later Friday we went here which was part of our family history themed day. It's been here as a pharmacy/soda fountain for a long time.

My grandpa said he applied for a job there at one point! Here's what it looked like back then...

We shared giant sundaes.

Mom made us these waffles :)

We also got to do a little shopping. Which is always a really good thing on a girl's trip. We went to Old Town Pasadena.

Pre mom and Carrie on Friday...

#7 Visiting homes from our history.
My great-great grandpa built this house and the guy living there now was nice enough to let us in and look around at everything.

It was neat to see my mom remember times she spent there as a child.

We had a dollhouse replica my great uncle made that we played with as children. It was an awesome doll house, but the actual house was even more amazing! We also stopped at my great-grandma Nana's house which I remember. It was much smaller than I remembered it- at least out front. Those people where trying to get their baby to sleep and wouldn't let us tour their home. The nerve of some people! :)
#6 Visiting Uncle Kevin and Aunt Nancee
The LA temple had been penciled into our schedule for Friday night but had to be amended when Amy brought up visiting Uncle Kevin who's very sick with cancer. It was a great visit with wonderful people. They're dealing with this challenge as well as can be expected. It was difficult to see him but also very special. If you have any extra room in your prayers, please add them and their family.
#5 Karaoke Bar
Maybe you're naive like I was about a what a "karaoke bar" is. I pictured a bar with a karaoke machine at the front for drunk people to sing on. If that's what you're thinking- think again! Picture walking into a dark, seedy looking place and then led down a dark, laser-lit hallway probably by a Korean. (just sayin' because it's true. They obviously know where the fun's at) (also 75% of the songs in the selection menu were in Korean). Then he opens a door to a vacant room and shows you how to use the remote/song selector...

And finally, you're left with whatever singing talent might be in the room with you- behind closed doors. Of course, when you're with people that you know love you matter how you sound, it's easy and fun to just belt it out and repeatedly ignore that sane part of your brain telling you, you should not be singing in front of people like this.
Some of us were clearly more comfortable than others and that's why Carrie singing was my #5 favorite moment. So awesome...

#4 The Beach
The thing that may eventually bring me back to California someday for good. I love it. I feel peaceful there. :)

In favorite place...

We were all not wearing swimsuits (I kicked myself over that cause I wanted to go swim) and looked kinda goobery sleeping on the beach in clothes, but I don't think any of us cared. Taking a nap listening to the ocean is the best!

Carrie and Randa looking less goobery in their chairs :)

Then of course we had to get a group shot there!

#3 Mom and Dad
I miss my mom a lot since she doesn't live near me, and my dad even more since he passed away 12 years ago. I love visiting "home". I love pulling up to this house even when it's 12:30 am.

I love getting out of the car and smelling the more humid California air. I love going inside and smelling what home smells like. I love my mom's hugs and a special comfort that lives there that doesn't exist anywhere else.
I love pulling out my dad's journals and reading them and feeling like I'm talking to him again. And remembering how much of him I have inside me. And feeling grateful that I had a dad that loved me so much.

And still does.
And a mom that I'm so blessed to still have around. We actually got to celebrate Mother's Day with her this year. We gave her a travel-themed gift basket since she's going to meet up with Miranda in Poland once school gets out.

#2 Laughing
I really needed this trip. I felt like my stress level was at maximum with all the things going on in my life. The general business, and stuff relating to my new calling (which is going great but I had just gotten through my first tough situation). Nothing relieves stress better than true, uncontrollable laughter :)
Especially with some of your very favorite people!


#1 That moment when...
Sally used the phrase "As the crow flies" in a real legit conversation. This was an easy one. I've thought of it many times since and it keeps making me laugh. hahaha! My family is the best!!!
I love you all so much! I hope we can keep this an annual tradition!
1 comment:
So much fun! You should definitely make this a yearly thing! Love you guys!
Post a Comment