Thursday, September 12, 2013

Holly's Special Talk



About 6 months or so ago I realized Holly was 8 and already at the age for learning about "The Miracle of Life" (as so described to her). I told her we'd go on a special mommy/daughter date and I'd tell her about something very important and special. At the same time though, since my experience with Emma did not go as expected (she didn't really seem ready to learn about it the first time when she was 8, so we tried again a year later and it went much better:), I wondered if Holly was really ready. I think Dana had the talk with Eli when he was 9 too. Anyway, I didn't push it and she forgot for awhile.

Then just a couple weeks ago she said "Remember when you said we were going to go on a date and learn about a special thing in life?" "Oh yes", I said, "I remember". "Well, when can we do that?" So that Friday (August 30th) we went out to "BJ's" (a noisy restaurant is helpful). I was prepared with anatomical print-outs of women and men's internal bodies. She was so funny. The whole time I talked she kept looking around to make sure no one was looking at us or listening to us.

She was very sweet (and pretty surprised when I got down to the nitty-gritty). I told her that it's a beautiful thing that is only for when we're married and is a gift from Heavenly Father so that we can have children and a family. And anything that's special and sacred, Satan wants to make bad and yucky. That's why there's bad magazines, etc. Anyway, it was a good conversation. I think it's so important for them to have the knowledge presented to them in a good way before they start to hear about things from whoever at school- or heaven forbid see something awful on a computer. It was fun to have the one-on-one time. She was very polite and kept telling me thank you for everything. That made me feel good. When the kids are all together, they're usually pretty crazy and it was nice to see how she behaves by herself.

We were done with that conversation by the time we got our pizookie (yes I cheated and it was so worth it!) and then we headed down the street to see "Planes", which we both enjoyed. The theater had the arm rests that you can put up so we got to cuddle up and I felt very blessed to have such a very wonderful little 8 (quickly approaching 9) yr old.

2 comments:

joyous said...

So sweet. :)

Shannon said...

That sounds like a wonderful evening. I'm still not feeling ready for that conversation. Hmm I'll definitely need to start thinking and praying about it. Glad you and Holly had a good, successful night! :)