Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I Had a Birthday! (you may shout hooray now)

So my "free" year of life came to close (last year I thought I was turning 38 for a long time and was quite excited when I realized I was only 37). I really did turn 38 this time. It was a great birthday. Kinda weird too though because Amy (my sister who shares birthdays with me) turned 40! I grew up being a part of her big and exciting birthdays- she turned 16 and I turned 14, etc. and I would think, "Two more years and it will be my turn!" This year I thought those same words. Except replace giddy excitement with a menacing tone. But she handled it like a champ. I helped plan a party and she even laughed when she got some "Depends" and other "old lady" items :) Hopefully, I can have that attitude when it's my turn in a couple years.
 

I LOVE sharing my birthday with my sister. Most people think it sounds like a bummer to share you special day, but it really makes it extra fun to have someone to celebrate with. We got to have combined parties,
8 and 10 yrs.
 

Survived 90's fashion (although I'm not so sure "floods" were ever in style)
17 and 19 yrs.
 

And have 'blown' through many a box of candles together
9 and 11 yrs.
 

Here are ways we got to celebrate in 2013.
First, mom came out for a surprise visit.
One night I was folding laundry in my room just kinda feeling...laundry-ish, next thing I knew, Amy and my mom were standing there with big smiles! It was so fun! She took us shopping (the BEST gift ever) and it was so fun to just spend time with her. She came during Conference weekend so it was great for so much of our family to be together.
 

I got to have a birthday "Girls Night Out" to dinner at "Cafe Rio".
 

The Sunday before, Miranda, made us both cupcakes. Even gluten-free, dairy-free ones for me! Sisters are the best :)
 

Dana couldn't get the day off this year but was so sweet to me in the morning. He got up and let me sleep, made the kids' lunches, decorated my door with streamers like we do for the kids' birthdays, and wrote me a sweet card. The kids all did too- along with giving me lots of "happy birthday mom!"s.

Amy and I went to "Liberty Market" for breakfast with our darling little side-kicks.
 

Sadie took a birthday picture of us...Haha- there were like 7 like this.
 

I also got to read my book club book "Eat Cake" which I thought fit into the day's theme quite nicely and I showed my support by finishing off the last 2 GF cupcakes. It was an exciting day too because I think it was the first time I managed to get all 3 free birthday meals available at restaurants near us. Yes it was a day filled with delicious food.
 

I even got one last birthday hurrah last weekend. Dana and I got a night away! He took me to "Benihana"- just in case I didn't get enough deliciousness or stuff myself enough on my birthday. Then he took me out to hotel in Phoenix and Amy stayed with the kids. Oh man- it was so fun to get away. What a treat!

BTW, They take birthday pictures there.
In case you thought I photoshopped their logo to the picture myself.
 

And that about sums it up.
A super birthday, a wonderful life. I feel very blessed.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Meeeehh. I am not in ANY of these pics. (Middle child whine--Marsha! Marsha! Marsha!) I'm especially upset about the 8 and 10 birthday party pic, in which Jeff appears with his chubby Mickey Mouse self. I totally remember that party! Dancing to Stray Cats with all your friends. Where WAS I? Maybe it was my turn to stare at Barry Manilow and kiss his giant record face.
Anyway, I really wish I could've been there to celebrate this one, too. Fun post! Good writing. Looks like it was a good b-day indeed!

Carrie said...

What a fun birthday! Lots celebrating! And I looove the flash back pictures! And I can't help but love baby Jeff in the corner :)

Shannon said...

Such a fun birthday! And the flashback pics are awesome. :)