Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pictures of Summer Break

The kids (mainly Sadie) have been keeping me updated on how many days until school starts. She half shouts, half squeals it every time. Today we've heard, "FOUR DAAAYS UNTIL KINDERGARTEN! Ah! I CAN"T BELIEVE IT!" Suddenly she's become very excited. I feel very relieved because as of late she's gone through a bout of not wanting to leave my side to go new places (i.e. singing practice of performance in post below). Let's hope Kindergarten is in a separate category in her mind. A category which only contains excitement- not fear. My worry is that if she does lose it at drop-off time, I will not be able to be strong for her. I have been totally avoiding the idea that my baby is starting school, and I may have a little melt down of my own when it actually happens. This will hopefully be in the car after she walks in happily and not while she's clinging to my leg with her new teacher trying to coax her off of it.

 And since we're almost to back-to-school again, I want to post pictures of the "everyday" things that have  been  occupying our time the past couple months. Since, even though I've had extra time, I've still found a way to be a bad blogger.

 The kids' "games" were taken to a new level this summer with Emma drawing what they look like (in the game) and then going head-to-head in living room smackdowns. I guess one fighter was taking a break on this particular morning.

We've had many a "house" built.

The little girls got new quilts but they were no where near as excited about them as the big box they came in :)

Clay creations

Burning stuff with a magnifying glass.

Yes it really works and is very entertaining- especially for boys I've found.

My girl LOVES to draw. She looks online to find "dragon names" for her dragons. Names like "Rasenth" and "Brisinger".

We managed to make it to the Rec Center once or twice for rock climbing.

I really slacked off in the schoolwork area this summer. Besides reading- we were decent at that one. I have a feeling I will be wishing I was better about it once school starts. 

Played with friends :)

Emma went to girls camp!

I wished I could be a part of her first year but Amy was there, her cousins were there, she has the best leaders and lots of sweet friends/fellow young women. We have a such a great ward! She had a wonderful time and has been singing the camp songs she learned and telling me stories since she's been home. 

We also went to her Jr. High orientation on Wednesday. It was great for her (and me) to be there and get a feel for the school. She got her PE clothes, schedule, lots of papers and info, a spirit shirt, and...a sense that she can do it and everything will be just fine (mostly good for me).
And then yesterday we got to find out which teachers the kids have and look at their class lists!

Goodbye summer break! I think we're actually starting to feel a little ready for 7th, 5th, 2nd, and Kindergarten!

(Not Pictured: 
  • Dana and I going to go on "dates" to the gym religiously. 
  • Lots of cleaning. The kids have all gotten lots of practice and are definitely advancing their skills.
  • My awesome skinny knees which make me feel giddy to look at.
  • My super delicious steel-cut oats with rice milk and fruit I eat every morning. Oh wait, I do have a picture of that. You need to see the yumminess of it...

Seeee? What'd I tell you? Oh and these are peaches from our tree which are extra good and made me love my favorite breakfast even more. Thereby prompting me to take a picture.)

5 comments:

Sally said...

MMMMMMM, that cereal does look good!

Sally said...

YAY!!! Forts!!

Sally said...

Who DOESN"T love creating with clay?

Sally said...

Now the real comment:
I can't believe Emma really went to girls camp. She's like a teenager now!
And, good job for you guys going to the gym so diligently. I SO wish I had a gym partner--it makes it so much better. Mom and I are starting to do Jillian videos at home together--which is way better than trying to do them alone. Can't wait to check out your ripped arms next time I see you!

Kate said...

Haha Sal- you're such a goober!

I'm not sure I'll ever have ripped arms but a little definition would be nice :)