Sunday night, as we were following our evening routine of giving our pets dinner, Pepper didn't show up. Every Sunday is pretty busy but this one felt a little busier than usual so we all tried to remember if we had seen Pepper that day. That may sound horrible but cats are so self-reliant that we usually just let him in, in the morning and he sleeps somewhere in the house most of the day. Emma had let Scout out that morning to go potty and couldn't remember if Pepper was out there waiting on the back porch to come in as usual. We searched outside calling, "Here! Kitty-kitty-kitty!" all over the neighborhood. Cats don't get lost and they always come back to where the food is, so even that evening Dana and I were looking at each other with worried faces.
Three days and lots of tears later, we're all starting to come to terms with the fact that our sweet kitty is gone. Maybe hit by a car, maybe poisoned- who knows. It's so sad to think about. Each morning it's heart breaking to watch the kids wake up with hope in their eyes, run to the back door to see if Pepper might be out back waiting where he usually is. Then to see their hopes dashed and walk slowly back in. Emma's had the hardest time, crying many times. Then yesterday Eli started looking around some more in the house in Pepper's favorite hide-outs (I was hoping he NOT find him at that point since he'd inevitably be a dead kitty). Then he walked over to me with a funny expression, said "Pepper..." and started sobbing. SO heartbreaking :(
On the flip side, Emma pointed out this morning, that we still have our little tiny guppy Holly brought home from school last March or so, we expected to live a few days. I guess you never know what life will bring you.
Here's a picture Holly drew yesterday of Pepper and put it up over her bed:
We're grateful Pepper was a part of our lives and love knowing that he's in pet heaven now, happy.

7 comments:
That is pretty sad. It's hard for kids to process that kind of thing too. Sounds like they are handling it though. Love the Pepper portrait. :) And who knows? Maybe a new kitty will be in the cards someday.
Craigslist is a great resource for finding a lost animal - you should check the posts in the lost and found and the pets section or post an ad yourself with Pepper's picture. Also most shelters post pics online of the animals they've picked up or had turned in. Maybe a few posters put up in your neighborhood. Often the lost pets are still close by, especially cats - they usually find a spot to "burrow" in and can stay put for days. I still have hope you will find him!
Thanks for the advice Anna. Maybe I will try those things! I guess I just thought he must be gone if he wasn't coming home. I'll try looking up a local shelter right now :)
Holly's picture almost made me cry. So sweet. Let's hope he's still out there!
That is a heart wrenching post. So sad for the whole family. I feel for you. You know the same thing happened to Andrea Williams many months ago. And Holly is amazing at drawing. That girl has some serious talent.
Post a Comment