I was reading a new Thanksgiving book we have to the kids today. I realized I'm grateful for the same things today that the original Pilgrims were thankful for.Freedom: from religious persecution- and all the many freedoms we have.
Friends: the Indians that helped them survive the first year there. Enabled their survival even.
Family: about half of the original crew died the first year and they were thankful for the health of those that made it through.
Food: they were celebrating a good harvest.
Of course those are just a few of the thousands of blessings I have and am so grateful for, but it made me realize that the things that matter never change, in any century.
Here's a little Thanksgiving trivia for you:
Which president tried to make Thanksgiving 1 week earlier to extend the Christmas shopping season?
(By the way this was met with much opposition but I think the idea is a pretty good one! We don't know the exact date of the original one anyways so why not?)
No comments:
Post a Comment