Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday Talks

Any mother of multiple children will tell you that it can get overwhelming sometimes. Some mothers are unphased (or seem to be) by everyone talking and whining at them at once. This situation has never been my strong area. That's about the time I have been known to lose my cool. You know...on occasion.

Earlier this year, longing for some peaceful conversation with the kids, I decided to do something new. Each Sunday take turns talking to each of our 4 little ones in my room after church. We plop down on the bed and cuddle up. Then I start off with my standard question, "so what was your lesson about?" Since it's pretty much right after church, they can answer. In fact, overall I've been really amazed at the details and quality of the recap they give me. But no matter what, I love that it's just them and me (courtesy of that handy little lock on the door) and they get my undivided attention. Almost always, we end up talking about something else after the lesson. Something on their minds. Something I might not have gotten a chance to hear about without the one-on-one time. They are all beaming and smiling at me with bright eyes. And then I have the chance to tell them how much I love them and all the things they're doing right.

So now on Sunday when I say "who's gonna have the first talk?" they all shout "ME!" and I feel grateful for our new little tradition.

5 comments:

Sally said...

Such a good idea. Especially as they get older and you want them to keep talking to you. Or so I imagine.
Thanks for being such a good mom, and good example to me for the future.

Jill Ison said...

that's a cool little tradition you got going there. So this is before your sunday nap? Katie, how DO you do it?!?!

elizabeth said...

What a wonderful idea! It's so simple, but really what do the kids want more than anything. . . undivided attention from mom! Sally said, you are a super example!!

Miranda said...

Super Mom!! You are the real deal. You deserve a trophy or something.

Amy said...

love that idea too, Dan does Fathers interviews once a month but its not the same. I feel so crazy lately my kids would probably appreciate a bit of one on one! Might have to be copy cousins!