Sunday, September 19, 2010

What We're Into/Up to

Every single morning I have the pleasure of waking up to a cereal box banging into some part of my body. One day my head, the next arm, and so on. Probably whatever is sticking out of the blankets. The funny thing is, I'm always wondering what's happening for a couple seconds until I open my eyes enough to see a blurry little blonde girl holding a box of "Honey Bunches" telling me she wants "dereal". So far, I've been unsuccessful at preventing this from happening. It's almost always at 6 am exactly. The other day was 5:15. I picked her up, put her in her crib and she was obliged to stay in there for 45 mins until a more humane time arrived.
This brings me to some better news. She stays in her bed now. No more of the getting out at night and having to be re-put down in her crib. I caught her all wrapped up the other night. She's got such a fun personality. Unless she's waking someone with a cereal attack.Yogurt is her favorite food. And she loves preschool.
Holly's been a really good helper and great big sister to Sadie. She loves Kindergarten and is busy memorizing sight words and practicing reading. She's not in anything extra right now but we're thinking soccer for winter. She also wears the crown as resident comedian.
Eli has brought crazy bands (or silly bands?) into our home. They fly around the school yard like no one's business and he's collected a few. This one was traded for his sandwich. (blerg)
He's sooo into Star Wars suddenly. He's always liked it but now his light saber is always latched onto his outfit somewhere and every now and then I see a 3 fingers stretched out toward me shaking with the force. Happily, he has a friend who loves it as much as he does AND still likes dress-up! (yes!)
He and Emma are great readers- they both LOVE books. We went to the book fair Friday as is becoming tradition. Emma got a Kathryn Lasky book she's been wanting, blew through it and finished it yesterday!
She's really enjoying 5th grade so far and has started playing the flute. She loves it and even gets it out to practice without a reminder! I'm so excited because I don't play anything and I just love that she's gaining such a great skill.
Dana's even more into running than usual with his 5th marathon just a couple weeks away. He's shooting to qualify for Boston which means finishing in 3 hrs. 20 mins! So it'll be an exciting weekend. Keep your fingers crossed. I surprised the kids with some skeleton pajamas which I think they liked.
And I'm feeling the excitement that can only be brought on by the knowing that fall is here. We MADE IT and we're feeling very fall-ish. And "fall-ish" is another word for heavenly.
I'm also into loving my calling in young womens. And I'm fascinated by the idea that once in awhile I find myself all alone with time to do whatever I please. Which, as it turns out, is usually mopping or doing errands. But the point is I choose it and can think the whole entire time in silence. Who knew chores could be so refreshing :)

5 comments:

Shannon said...

It's amazing how much more relaxing it is to clean when you don't have kids underfoot. Sounds like you guys are all busy and happy and enjoying Fall. I love the skeleton PJ's. And I'm sorry, but Sadie waking you up by hitting you with the cereal box is hilarious. I wouldn't think so if it was me, but still. :)

Sally said...

Yey! I new post. I think Sadie waking you up for "dereal" is hilarious, too. It's so funny how kids have zero sense of other people's needs--especially their moms'.
The kids look bigger. :(
Eli--he needs to learn better bargaining power. A sandwich is worth at least 3 crazy bands! ha ha ha

Jill Ison said...

so very true. chores CAN be refreshing. who'd a thunk :) sadie is just the cutest little thing!

Jill Ison said...

wait that sounded weird. the said is the cutest little thing does not attach to the who'd a thunk... ok?

sadies is just the cutest little thing... period!

Anonymous said...

You guys are so cute!!! Love the new pj's. Where did you find those? I have been looking for skeleton Pj's