Monday, August 17, 2009

Saying Goodbye

On August 5th, my grandmother passed away to the next stage of her journey. She lived a long, good, blessed life, but losing someone who is so well-loved is never easy. Amy and I were able to drive out to California together for her funeral this last weekend with both of our 2 older kids.
My grandfather, pressing on, a true "giant" of a man.

It was wonderful to be together as a family and see all our Swan Family loved ones. I feel so blessed to be part of this family.
Missing lots of faces but still fun to see a couple new (albeit unofficial) ones in our Giles family photo.
My grandfather and his children. All one-of-a-kind outstanding people.
Grandpa and Grandma, last Thanksgiving.
I'm grateful for this 4-generation picture I have from when Emma was a baby. I did more with each of my girls a couple years ago too.
At her funeral, each of her children recounted their sweet memories of her and what a great mother she was to them. It made me think about what kinds of memoeries I'm leaving for my kids. She has a beautiful legacy. My grandpa expressed it best when he said "A wonderful friend will be missed." I love you grandma- til we meet again...
I will be adding a couple pictures of her when she was young when I get them.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I am so sorry about your grandmother. It is always nice to see everyone though. My mom said it was a nice service and that your kids are just adorable. I don't think I knew your grandma, but if she raised your mom, who raised you, I'm sure she was a very special lady.

Kate said...

Thanks Shannon- you're so sweet. We so much enjoyed staying with your mom and dad. They were so giving and just awesome all the way around!

robin said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. What a wonderful tribute to your Grandma and Grandpa.

Jill Ison said...

i know how you feel. i dont like losing the grandparents. i wish i had one of those 4 generations pictures. oh LOVED sadies bed head btw.

Christine said...

These are some great pics Katie. I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. Love your sweet tribute. I totally remember that picture of the 4 generations. Love those pics. They are so neat.

The Crazy Wyatt Fam said...

Katie.. I am so sorry! That has got to be difficult! I am glad you have wonderful memories to carry you through!