Skills and creativity can earn you money in our world. A younger and more crazy version of my husband, with a couple friends, once dressed as homeless guys and went out and danced and sang to see if they would get money- and by golly, they sure did. I don't remember the amount but they were all surprised at how much they made.
Here I am on that great trip.
FYI- my socks do have stripes that EXACTLY match the colors on my sweatshirt. And as you may have guessed- the sweatshirt did say "Yacht Club" on it.
With my cute little sisters Sally and Miranda at "Old Fort". Do you love my pose that shouts "Look out world- I am pre-teen!"?
Fast forward 20 (or so) years. On our recent trip to California we took the kids out to Hollywood to see the famous Hollywood Walk of Fame- the stars in the sidewalk and the older, and much cooler, footprints in the cement at Graumans Chinese Theater.
After we all found parking and started to walk over to the area, we began noticing something, or things.Yes- that is Snoopy. Then on the next crosswalk, we walked past Dora. While I was trying to figure this out, my kids started getting excited.
In front of the theater we saw Mr. "Kiss". Gross, but Eli was thrilled, as you can see. I finally just figured it was a just the theater's way of marketing or something.
So then Eli yells out "Darth Vader!" Abruptly he turned around, gave Eli a light-saber (exactly like the one we have from Target) and began fighting with him. So Eli was in seven heaven and so was I until after I took this picture, when Darth turned to me and said "I work for tips." I was caught off guard but replied back "I don't have any tips....sor..." At which point he took back the light-saber and high tailed it down the street.
So. All these "characters" are bums in costumes! Bums are getting lazy I tell you! When did that happen! I neglected to get a picture of the midget dressed as the "Chucky" doll. Truthfully, I was a little too terrified to let him know I had noticed him.This big swarm of people were all trying to get their pictures with Michael Jackson's star.
We went for a photo-op with a star nearby.
I did like seeing the old footprints and was, of course, reminded of that old "I Love Lucy" episode. So classic. I couldn't remember which one she was trying to steal though.
We went for a photo-op with a star nearby.
I did like seeing the old footprints and was, of course, reminded of that old "I Love Lucy" episode. So classic. I couldn't remember which one she was trying to steal though.



7 comments:
Ok I think my favorite thing about those early SF pics are you sweet highwater jeans! The matching stripey sock/sweatshirt combo is a very close second. Too funny!
As for Hollywood, Ian and I watched a documentary about some of the costume people who work on Hollywood Blvd. It's actually kind of a problem for the city. They aren't supposed to ask for money since that's just panhandling, but that's really all they are there for. Most of them make their living that way. Too bad Darth was so evil. ;) And I agree that simply wearing a costume is lazy. Get a real talent, huh. Anyway, glad you had a nice trip with the big kids.
Super cute!
SO FUN!!!! i so want to do something different like that with my kids. we never do quite get around to doing any family vacations and i feel like we are all just missing out.
i think it was john waynes foot prints that they stole. :)
Ok, I am so cracking cuz we did a trip just like that to San Fran like that when I was a teen and have almost the same hair as you and posey poses. LOL It was John Wayne's footprints, but Fred Astaire is equally as glamorous. Our trip to Cali in May produced some of the same pics like the Mickey Mouse star! So cute. My kids were excited to see your pictures of the Kiss dude and other "celebrities" that were a bit freakish. HAHA! Looks like fun to go with the cousins. So glad you had a great time.
Cute one of the kids by Mickey! I didn't see you guys take it.
I have to say I don't think they are that lazy when they could just be sitting there holding a sign. At least they provide some entertainment.
I think that SF trip is my horrible permed bangs era.
Lazy or not- It's the hitting up of unsuspecting people via kids that is the real annoying part.
I would have wanted to be your friend. You were/are so cool. The matching socks say so much about your style. Only the coolest girls wore Yacht Club.
I love visiting LA--so much to gawk at. Good times.
Post a Comment