Monday, March 18, 2013

Our House...and other dirty news.

I'll just skip straight to the dirty news since I know you're curious: We planted our garden yesterday! Friday night I realized (assisted by the March heat wave that came through) that it needed to get done ASAP. So yesterday we spent most of the day weeding, mixing dirt, shoveling, getting a few ant bites, and planting. The kids all pitched in and we all feel proud of our pretty plants. And our gnomes are glad to have some living plants to tend to.

I'm trying an Anaheim chile pepper plant this year. And I have basil, thyme, and oregano nearby. I love having fresh herbs- wish I had room for more.


One yellow squash, 2 zucchini squash, and 2 tomato plants.
  

Dana replaced most of our rock in the front with wood chips.
  

He was planning on cutting the dead parts of our vines but then we saw a little friend had decided to make a  home for her babies there at the top. So I guess we'll have to hold off awhile.
 

I love Spring! It's so fun to watch everything growing and blooming. We have a couple perennials in the front that not only grew back this year but one bloomed! I want to plant more of them but I need to figure out what they are. Any ideas?
 

Here are my thoughts on our house lately. After we lived here for about 5 years or so we'd every-so-often bring up to our kids, and each other, the idea of moving. When would be a good time? What would our ideal house look like? Probably questions everyone ask. I'd always imagined that when you talk about upgrading your living space to kids (i.e. getting a pool maybe??) that the kids would start jumping up and down and squealing the way kids do when they're excited. But pretty much every time we've even whispered a word about it the opposite has happened. Pained cries of "No mom!" and other such laments. Emma seems to be the main instigator and insists that we just wait to move until she goes to college.

Now, as if the kids aren't weird enough, lately I'm starting to wonder if I'd be able to sell our house. Am I crazy or what? Is this normal? I've never really heard of people not wanting to sell because they feel too sentimental about it. It's just that so much laughter, tears, and memories are wrapped up in this place. Emma was 4 when we moved here, Eli just 2, and Holly and Sadie were brought through the front door as newborn babies. Every tree we plant, every upgrade we've made that we've saved up for, have started to make me feel a little attached. It's pretty ridiculous overall. I know we'll be just as happy (or happier since I know for a fact our next house won't have a dishwasher and fridge that reside directly across from each other) in our next house. I'm just starting to think it may need to be sooner than later because I can see that the longer we live here, the more painful it will be. Then I wonder if we could not sell this house and rent it out...but then I think about saving the 20% down and realize that we'll be able to do that about the same time we pay off our 30 yr loan we just refinanced.

So, not an announcement of moving, just thoughts. Do other people feel like I do...besides Steve Martin on "Father of the Bride"? (man I love that movie. I should break out the old VHS tonight. Then watch "Top Gun" afterward:)

Next up: Girls trip and Spring Break adventures:)

3 comments:

Anna said...

Katie, I feel the same way about our house! We moved into our home when Alex was 10 months old. We never planned to stay in our home for so long, but now that we have, it would be very hard emotionally to move. So many memories, and I feel like no one else would appreciate it like we do. Anyone who bought it would just think it was an old house. It seems too small a lot of the time but I figure eventually the kids will move out and then it will be the perfect size.

Kate said...

Thx for the comment Anna! It was so fun to see you guys :)

Shannon said...

It's hard to not get attached to your house! We are renting this house and I have to remind myself that it's not ours and we aren't staying here very long because it feels like ours. Hopefully you guys will figure out what works for you as far as the home goes. And if you do move I'm sure it will be bittersweet for everyone.

Also your garden looks great! I think I want to plant some herbs this year!