Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Girl's Trip 2013

Back like forever ago my cousin Karen got engaged. Miranda decided she for sure was going to go support her. Being the stay-at-home mother that I am, I thought, "Yes. I also want to go support her" :) And then I thought "we" (my sisters, sis-in-law, and mom) should ALL go support her. Utah may not have been our Girl's Trip destination of choice, but there's nothing like a sense of family obligation to get a group of women to get something planned. Of course, I am actually really glad we were able to be there for her special day.

So Thursday before Spring Break Amy, Miranda, and I left AZ. Miranda offered to drive and we payed for gas. A good trade off. Except for when she started talking with her hands and not putting them on the wheel for disconcerting periods of time. Well at least for this SAHM. But she got us to LV and back safely so I guess I accept her reasoning that she's a "really good driver". :)


Thursday night we arrived in Vegas and got to go out to a yummy "Cafe Rio" dinner (sorry Sal) with Jeff and Carrie. And we all "ooo-ed and ahhhhh-ed" over Carrie's cute baby bump. Oh and talked about baby names (this was a recurring topic of conversation all weekend). After we ate we went straight to the airport to pick up our California compadres. Yay! It's so fun to have everyone together! That night Sally and I stayed up really late talking about whatever we wanted. That was one of my favorite things :)

The next morning we went out to breakfast. It was super yummy. Wow, we all look a bit tired.


Then all 6 of us left for Utah. Carrie's parents were so kind and let us borrow their Explorer so we could all ride together. Sally had the idea of doing "headphone singing". Where you put on headphones with the volume on high so you can't hear yourself, and then sing along with a song. There is also the sing and dance option which Randa is exhibiting in this pic:) This game was pretty hilarious and kept us entertained for an hr at least.
 

Carrie drove the entire time, pregnant and all, through rain, sleet, and snow. It was C-C-Cold up there!
 
It was funny because when we drove into Provo we were all pointing and talking at the same time about memories of things that happened here or there. I'm sure between the 6 of us we could easily cover every block in a mile radius surrounding BYU.

Here's one of my personal favorites- if you can see it through the snow. The street of our first married apt. :)
 

Next we checked into the "Residence Inn" and relaxed a little. Then went and got frozen yogurt (which was conveniently next to a Jamba Juice), and came back and went in the hotel's jacoozi (is jacoozi not a word? All spell check will give me is "Jacobi".)- or "spa". Oh and Amy and Randa tried to give Sally and I swimming lessons (since we swim with our head out of water most of the time and are not seasoned in swimming for exercise like they are) but the lanes were too short to get good practice and I decided the spa felt better. But Sally gave it a good effort! Go Sally! Sorry no swimsuit pic to post. I know, big disappointment.

 I'd like to take a moment here to say that for some reason I decided my camera phone would suffice on the trip and regretted it the whole time. I could of had way better pictures. Next year. I think we are all in agreement that it should be an annual thing.

Saturday was Karen's special day. Her temple sealing was beautiful. She and her husband were beaming and the Spirit was so strong. The temple is just such a special place.
Here they are!
 

I was only able to take 2 pictures after they came out because it was like -10 deg. with the crazy wind chill and my hand was shaking and I think my phone was also in shock because it wasn't doing anything when I hit the picture button.

Waiting our turn for pictures...
 

Then they sent us inside to wait, to which we happily (and hastily) obliged.
 

I may or may not have to answer to taking these 2 pictures one day. Temple waiting room. I don't know what do you think? All of my sisters were just short of being appalled and/or disgusted. Carrie was a sweet sister-in-law and was still nice to me afterwards. Best picture of the whole weekend though- artistically speaking.

After a few shivering family temple pictures we went to the SUPER yummy luncheon catered by a Brazilian restaurant. So awesome for me because I could eat like 60% of the food! And it was delicious. Then we went to BYU Bookstore and the good ole University Mall where we scored on an awesome shoe sale. Miranda has been wanting boots for like 4 years but has never bought any. They had buy one get one free so she now has TWO pairs of boots :) I got Emma and myself some TOMS wannabes since we can now share shoes. Then we rushed to the reception.

The Swan Family
 



Finally we cut out a little early and got to spend a little time with the other Swan Family at Zupas :) I wish I would of taken a picture there.

The rest of the trip was pretty much just heading home except Sunday Carrie's parents had us all over for dinner. They were so kind and welcoming and we added one more yummy meal to our trip's menu.

All-in-all a wonderful success. I got so lucky in the family dept. I love you guys and can't wait for next year!

6 comments:

Sally said...

Finally!!! We do look tired in the first picture, except for Carrie. She always looks good! And at least you and I have the excuse of having stayed up till 3 am. One of my favorite parts, too. :)

Definitely we needed more pics. Except for the bathing suits! SOOOOO glad you didn't get those.

Shannon said...

Fun fun fun! I love getting together with sisters! Looks like you guys had a blast. :)

stacy said...

That looks like he best trip. You are all so pretty!!! You are so lucky to have so many great women in your life to share fun times like that with and even luckier that they are your family!!! And I believe it's JACUZZI ! :)

Kate said...

Ahhh- Jacuzzi! Thank you Stacy! :)

Carrie said...

So fun! I love that last picture. And for the record-- I was not appalled of the waiting room picture taking :) can't wait for next year!

joyous said...

Loved it!!! Your breakfast picture is awesome...tiredness and all. I was so jealous b/c we were planning our sisters trip so soon after, but I couldn't say anything!! Sounds like you all had a great trip. :)