Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Eating

It's never been such a big deal to me as it is now. I used to dream about food when I was pregnant and couldn't hold anything down. Like eating a big hamburger. My body wanted it, but during the day just the smell of meat sent me running to the bathroom more than a few times. Once even a Burger King commercial caused me to throw up.

Now, here I am, dreaming about food again. This time it's that I start eating some yummy candy, then realize what I'm doing, then think "Oh no! I just ruined my diet!" Then I'm relieved when I wake up. I guess it's pretty pathetic to be so paranoid, but I really want all my hard work to make a difference. So far it's going great and I feel hopeful.

 Here are my updates on my food journey. On the way to beach camping my Naturopath gave me my food allergy results. On a 1-6 scale dairy and eggs were both in the 5 range. Ironically, wheat was only at a 2, which is not considered bad enough to take out of your diet. She said though that since I haven't eaten it for a year, my body may have regained a tolerance for it again. Two surprises were cranberries and pineapple were both 4's! All my meats were "no reaction" as well as all nuts. So happily, I've been able to incorporate some things back into my diet. There are things that are considered inflammatory foods- like sugar and potatoes which I have no allergy to, but I'm keeping them out of my diet until I get my body where I want it to be. Right now my body's feeling great. Dana and I went to the gym together last night (one of my favorite things) (going with him, unfortunately not just going to the gym) and have made a goal to go 3 times per week. So my day-to-day diet now is:

  • Steel-cut oats every morning with rice milk and fruit (sooo good- I look forward to it every morning).
  •  A big salad at lunch with as many veggies as I can squeeze in. 
  • A variety of things for dinner. Examples are- roast, fish, chicken, rice, tacos, quinoa. Last night I had some regular pasta (after making sure there weren't eggs in it) with a really yummy marinara sauce I made. (If you'd like to try it just Google "World's best marinara sauce" and it's at the top. That's my little trick that seems to work well- typing "world's best" before a recipe I want).
Anyway, I may eat whole wheat once in awhile and I have added tomatoes even though they were a "2". Not a lot, but as it turns out, I'm a bigger salsa fan than I thought. And with either eggs or dairy being in SO many sauces, this way I can add a little flavor to things.

Mind blowing excitement in my life right? :)

Happy 15 years to me and Dana tomorrow :) Now to plan some type of celebration...

1 comment:

joyous said...

Ha! I love your 'nightmare'!!! Too funny. I'm glad you are feeling so good right now too, that's awesome. :)