Our home teacher one Sunday casually mentioned "Butcher Jones Cove" being a fun place to go so we decided to try it out. Afterward, we were like "We've lived here 10 years and we just found this place!?" We went on Labor Day which meant Miranda had the day off to come with us:).
First off, we got up way early and were out the door at 6:30 AM. We've seen how crazy it can get out at the lake on holiday weekends and we wanted to beat all the crowds. And beat the crowds we did! When we got there, there were a handful of fishermen at the cove that really didn't seem all too excited to see a bunch of kids park all their beach gear nearby and then head to test out the water. But they lucked out because there were a bunch of bees at the beach so we decided to start our day with the hike next to the beach.



The kids (and Dana:) LOVE exploring and started noticing lots of the same types of spiderwebs along the trail. Lots and lots (and I think they stopped at every single one:) of them.


They would lightly tapped on the web with a stick or leaf and the spider would come out for lunch. But they were smart little fellows and quickly caught onto the trick so pretty much only peaked out for about 1-2 seconds.
It was a pretty hike and it felt good to be outside in decent weather before it started to get too hot.


Along the hike Dana noticed a little shady section that would be good to park our stuff and also appeared bee-free. He's got a good eye for things like that whereas I'm much more prone to follow the trail.

It was perfect and we stayed and enjoyed the spot for hours.


Soon we realized though that all our floats, our chairs, our cooler were back at the beach. Dana said he'd run back the mile or so and get some of the stuff. I said get the cooler and maybe a chair. But I know my husband. This is the guy that brings in all the groceries in from the car in one trip with a bag on each finger, wrist, and forearm. I started to saying to Miranda "What if he comes around the bend with everything- including the blown up shark." Then of course that exactly what happened and we were all laughing and laughing and luckily I was semi ready with the camera. (Even though he had already set down the cooler that he was probably holding with one finger).

I tell ya- I'm a lucky girl. I try not to swell up with pride when he does things like that for his family.
People kept paddling by with their canoes and paddleboards (and we got the impression our little spot might be other people's little spot as well), but our kids had a great time with our floats and just swimming around.

We swan-explored too but of course I couldn't take a camera with me.

When we were all done and headed back to the beach- a few more people had arrived.

It was a great day. Dana already took the kids back once since then. Happy we have a new place we can go to cool off in the summer. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment